The beginning of the Seventies was a period of significant opportunities for the furniture designers thanks to the creation of new innovative materials.
Michael Ducaroy, Chief Design at the French company Ligne Roset, responded promptly with its audacious move and perfect timing and created the first sofa in the world made in polyurethane foam.
The armchair I FELTRI, made of wool felt, evokes a shaman throne in modern styles. Its base is made of polyester resin, while the upper body is soft and malleable, wraparound anyone who sits on it as a royal mantle.
The table lamp ATOLLO is one of the most famous pieces of Vico Magistretti. For this, he won the “Golden Compass” award in 1979 - which is an industrial design award originated in Italy in 1954 by the La Rinascente company from an original idea of Gio Ponti and Alberto Rosselli.
The Random chandelier stands out to some essential must-have requisites of good design: it has a simple design and a complex manufacture structure. To say it all were necessary three years to develop the initial idea and shape it to the present aspect.
No one could imagine that a library may have a different aspect, besides a series of classical horizontally positioned shelves, until Ron Arad invented this alternative snake-shaped modular library. The already long-time famous designer had created in his London laboratory several unique pieces from recycled materials.
In was at the end of the Second World War, an afterwar period market by the increased popularity for fiberglass at a commercial level, when Sori Yanagi took advantage and produced his first 100% plastic stool, designed for the exclusive laboratory purpose. It responded at two fundamental requisites: was lightweight and stackable.
The RED AND BLUE ARMCHAIR is one of the few design pieces whose design is internationally recognizable. It has no precedents; therefore, it became a symbol that marked the career of its creator Gerrit Rietveld, embodying the theory that stands behind the built-in concept.
The BALL CLOCK or ATOMIC was designed in 1947 by George Nelson for Howeard Miller Company, and it immediately became an icon of the Fifties. Originally it had a central part made of brass and varnished in red, from which were radiating twelve brass rays with wooden balls at their ends colored same red. The black arrows indicating the time were in geometrical shapes: a triangle to indicate the hour and an ellipse to indicate minutes. Like a molecular structure of an atom, that design was an attempt to calm the nuclear energy. This wall clock free of numbers reflects a metaphysical condition where the time passes without any reference.